Everyone would have their own reasons why they would like to type in a phone number and find the location. Whether it’s a parent wanting to keep a child safe, a friend checking in on another friend on their trip, or someone looking for their lost device, the ability to track someone by their phone number can be very helpful to ensure your peace of mind and their safety.
There are several ways that one can track someone by phone number. Below is a list of various methods that you can review and pick, depending on what your needs are! (Please note that tracking someone without their consent or knowledge may be illegal.)
1. Type in phone number and find location through the device provider
Apple and Google both provide apps that let users find the location of devices. These apps, however, also have the function of letting you share location with your friends, which makes it easy for you to check the location of your friend. These apps also allow you to use them through a web browser, not just through your mobile devices.
How to track someone by their phone number using Apple’s Find My
- Open the Find My app and select the People tab.
- Select the person you shared your location with.
- Scroll down and choose Ask To Follow Location, then select OK.
How to track someone by their phone number using Google’s “Find My Device”
- Go to android.com/find and sign in to your Google Account.
- The lost phone gets a notification.
- On the map, you’ll get info about where the phone is.
- The location is approximate and might not be accurate.
- If your phone can’t be found, you’ll see its last known location, if available
These tracker apps, however, are very limited in function. For instance, Google’s Find My Device does not allow you to check the location of friends — it is only allowed for someone logged into their Google account to check their own devices. Furthermore, these apps do not allow you to check the location between operating systems. This means that if you want to check the location of a friend with an apple device from an android phone, you won’t be able to, and vice versa.
2. Type in phone number and find location free with iSharing:
iSharing is a third-party location tracker that makes it easy for you to track the location of friends or family, regardless of which device they use and regardless of whether they’re logged into their iCloud or Google accounts. Once the friend is added to your account, you’ll be able to track their location 24/7 with high accuracy, and even use all additional features, like location history, place alerts, etc.
How to track someone’s location by their phone number with iSharing
- Open iSharing App
- Sign up or log in
- Once you’re at the add a friend page, use a preferred method to add them as a friend.(At this step, you can enter their phone number to send the friend invite.)
- Once the invite is approved, you will be able to track their location 24/7 and have access to all other iSharing features.
With iSharing, you can also access all the features below:
- Location History for up to 90 days
- Instant text and photo messaging
- Privacy settings
- Emergency alarms and alerts for when friends and family leave or arrive a location
To share your location with iSharing, download the app and start sharing for free!
3. Using IMEI
IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity, a unique number assigned to each cell phone. Like a social security number, this number is unique to each device and using several of the IMEI tracker options out there, you will be able to find your device.
You can check the IMEI number assigned to your device like the following:
- iPhones: Settings > General > About > Scroll to find IMEI
- Androids: Settings > About > Status > Scroll to find IMEI
IMEI trackers, unfortunately, functions more like the Find My and Find My Device apps, in that they usually do not offer real-time location trackers and will show the last detected location only. This means that you won’t see the device move, if the person holding it is currently traveling.